4.20.2011

Love Locks: Around The World

Hohenzollern Bridge in Cologne, Germany -  Tree shaped structures on the Luzhkov Bridge in Downtown Moscow, Russia - N Seoul Tower in Seoul, South Korea - Great Wall near Beijing, China - Pont des Arts in Paris, France
Carving your sweetheart's initials into a tree is evidently a thing of the past. I've just learned about the custom of "love padlocks". The craze can be found all over the world, but it's particularly popular in Europe and in China. Travelers and locals are attaching personalised locks to public structures like bridges, gates, and fences, and throwing away the key to symbolize their undying love. These padlocks are engraved or marked with names, dates, or messages marking personal sentiments of love - be it for lovers, friends, family or for their city. One was even started in Wollongong, Sydney last year. I don't think I've ever come across any in Perth. Not to encourage vandalism or anything, but if there isn't already a love wall/bridge/gate/fence in Perth, than I hope someone starts one. I think its sweet. 

3 comments:

  1. Hey there, I just came across your blog recently and I just wanted to say that I really like your style of writing. So keep churning more impressive posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jasmine. Thanks for the kind words and encouragement ^__^ Glad you're enjoying my blog!
    -W

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is another website with information and pictures of love locks. www.lovelocksonline.com

    They have been spreading the LOVE here in the USA!

    ReplyDelete